One of my biggest frustrations with todays world is that everyone complains. I can’t stand it. The occasional complaint I understand we’re all human here. You know those people I’m talking about, I’m sure a name and face even popped in your mind. Life is so short why waste it on being unhappy? Life has uncertainties, throws you curve balls that will leave you confused. If you are unhappy check out these simple tips.
- It’s a bad day, not a bad life: As a female and someone who works with female teenagers we tend to be slightly over dramatic when something goes wrong. I am a planner and when things don’t go the storybook way I stress, get upset, and overthink the situation . Over the last few years I have made the commitment to myself that no matter what happens in life I can only control so much. I still get upset, however I have taken it upon myself to say will this matter in 5 mins or 5 years? Most times it’s a no. Just remember just because one thing didn’t happen the way you wanted doesn’t mean everything else you have going on is going to crumble down. Focus on the parts you can control and everything else will fall into place.
- Develop a healthy lifestyle: There is nothing better than hanging out with friends, your partner, or yourself and indulging on a juicy burger or fresh fries. But when thats all you eat you feel down. Add doing nothing but sitting on the couch or laying in bed and your mood goes down even farther. You don’t have to go on the latest cleanse or do cross fit to be happy. Throw some broccoli with dinner, go for a walk with your dog it’s all it takes. Your mind, skin and body will thank you.
- Don’t focus on others: In this day and age social media makes this rule so hard. Most of what you see online is set up. Some are fortunate enough to go out and drop $500 like it’s pocket change does not make you a failure. Don’t worry about what other people are doing or what they have. Pictures on instagram can be so overly edited. Remember they don’t even look like that. Think about yourself and what will make you a better person.
- Hanging around the wrong group: Do you find yourself being around complainers? People that play the victim when things in their lives go wrong? Start distancing yourself from them. When you have a negative outlook on life you will never have a good day. If you are hanging around negative people they will forever bring you down and you will never get the chance to rise and be the person you want to be.
- Take some time for yourself: I love alone time almost as I love being around people. It doesn’t have to be extravagant it could be a bubble bath, or for those moms out there taking a wonderful trip to Target by yourself and walking up and down every isle in the store. (Been there) When you have a chance to decompress even if it’s for 5 minutes it will lift your mood tremendously.
I am not an expert; I tell myself to get my life together 10x a day; these are tips I follow that help me in my day to day life. If you know someone who is struggling feel free to share! What do you do to keep yourself happy? xo Nicole